A common question when it comes to technology, is what are IT Services and how does a company take advantage of acquiring an IT Service? Answering this question depends on a number of factors that a small business needs to consider, as well as making sure that the IT Service will meet its needs.
For most companies and organizations, an IT Service is related to various aspects of technology, IT Support, IT Management, IT Outsourcing, implementing hardware as well as software, and providing applications support to end-users.
These services are provided by various IT Companies, that can handle specialized support, or that provide a wide variety of technology services across many different IT Services. These providers, also called Managed Service Providers, are highly specialized Companies, like Selenium Technology Partners. Selenium has well over 80 specialized and distinct IT Services in Toronto and the GTA.
What are the most common IT Services provided by Managed Service Providers?
Managed Service Providers (MSPs) offer a range of IT services to businesses and organizations. The most common IT services provided by MSPs are:
- Network and infrastructure management: MSPs can monitor, manage and maintain your organization’s network infrastructure including servers, routers, switches, and firewalls.
- Data backup and recovery: MSPs can provide secure and reliable data backup and recovery solutions to ensure that your critical data is protected and accessible in case of data loss.
- Security management: MSPs can manage and monitor your organization’s security measures to identify and mitigate any potential security threats.
- Cloud computing services: MSPs can provide cloud computing services, including cloud storage and cloud-based applications.
- Helpdesk and technical support: MSPs offer helpdesk and technical support services to resolve any IT issues your organization may encounter.
- IT consulting and strategy: MSPs can provide IT consulting and strategy services to help you plan and implement IT initiatives that align with your business goals.
- Software and application management: MSPs can manage and maintain your organization’s software and applications, including updates and upgrades.
- Mobile device management: MSPs can manage and secure your organization’s mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets.
Overall, MSPs offer a range of services to help organizations manage and optimize their IT infrastructure and operations, allowing them to focus on their core business activities.
What IT Services do SMBs need when it comes to IT Services?
Not all companies require a full-service managed service provider and a long list of IT Services in a typical IT Service catalog. Here are a wide variety of examples of IT Services that a company may require to run a small business.
Day to Day end-user technical support. This would include desktop and laptop support for Microsoft Windows, or MAC computers. Here are more end-user support items that can be provided to small businesses.
- Remote desktop assistance: IT support teams can use remote desktop assistance tools to access and troubleshoot end-users computers and devices from a central location. This command can be used to diagnose and fix issues without having to physically be on-site.
- Password reset: Companies often need a simple and quick command to reset end-users passwords when they forget or get locked out of their accounts. This command can be used to ensure that end-users can regain access to their accounts and continue working without any interruption.
- Software installation and configuration: IT support teams may need to remotely install and configure software applications for end-users. This command can be used to ensure that all necessary software is installed and configured correctly on end-users devices, allowing them to work efficiently.
- Operating system updates: IT support teams may need to remotely install and manage operating system updates for end-user devices. This command can be used to ensure that devices are running the latest security patches and updates, minimizing the risk of security breaches and downtime.
- Backup and recovery: IT support teams may need to implement a backup and recovery strategy for end-user data, files, and applications. This command can be used to ensure that the end user’s critical data is backed up regularly and can be recovered quickly in the event of any data loss or system failure.
When it comes to peripherals, a company depending on its day-to-day functions, may need support on various hardware components that are used for business productivity.
- Projectors: IT companies may provide support for projectors, including installation, setup, and troubleshooting. They can also help businesses choose the right projectors for their needs and ensure they are compatible with their IT systems.
- Webcams: IT companies may provide support for webcams, including installation, setup, and troubleshooting. They can also help businesses choose the right webcams for their video conferencing and communication needs.
- Speakers and microphones: IT companies may provide support for speakers and microphones, including installation, setup, and troubleshooting. They can also help businesses choose the right peripherals for their audio communication needs.
- Barcode scanners: IT companies may provide support for barcode scanners, including installation, setup, and maintenance. They can also help businesses choose the right scanners for their inventory management needs and ensure they are integrated with their IT systems.
- Point-of-sale (POS) equipment: IT companies may provide support for POS equipment, including installation, setup, and maintenance. They can also help businesses choose the right equipment for their sales and payment processing needs and ensure they are integrated with their IT systems.
General IT Consulting
When it comes to IT Services, hiring an IT Company that can consult on various technology options, may be critical for some small businesses to get the real benefits from hiring an IT Service. Here are some typical consulting service options that an IT Company would engage a small business in.
- Cybersecurity: A firm would engage your business to understand your technology, your existing IT Services, and how to create a security framework to protect your firm, its client data, and systems.
- IT Strategies: Every business needs an IT roadmap, and an IT Strategy to be able to effectively use the technology and IT services in their industry. A strategy will make sure your needs are taken care of now and in the future.
- Long-term Technology Roadmaps: As noted before, a roadmap can lead your company into the future keeping up to date on the latest technology and service, while protecting your assets.
- IT Service Recommendations: It’s very often critical to get a second opinion. Even if you have an existing IT service or are using a Managed Service Provider, having a second opinion is always beneficial. Especially if they’re coming from an industry expert in IT Services like Selenium.
- Procurement Services: When it comes to saving money with an IT Service which can manage procurement for your firm, is a great way to save money in the long term. They will have the ability to focus on products and services meeting your price.
- Strategic Sourcing Services: Being able to manage multiple vendors will give your firm the added benefit of sourcing the right product that meets your business needs, with the right warranties, and long-term support.
- Vendor Management Services: This is where a managed service provider can add value to your company. Managing all your IT vendors under one umbrella is a massive saving on time and money.
- Best IT Practices: An experienced IT team of professionals will follow best practices within the industry. Especially when it comes to cybersecurity, overall IT security, and the management of IT problems.
Top 5 ways to take advantage of an IT Service hosted by IT Experts.
Here are a few ways to make sure your company takes full advantage of an IT Service and its offerings.
- Pick an IT Service that has been around for at least 10 years and that has a wide variety of IT services available. Don’t pick a service provider that can only manage a handful of services. They’re going to be only short-term options for your company.
- Pick an IT Service that hires only professionals and where there is very little turnover.
When it comes to IT Services and how to take advantage of them when outsourced, that depends on a variety of factors with respect to the size of your company, the number of staff, your office technology complexities, and your industry. All play a role in what you need out of an IT Service.
Your best approach is to get an IT Consultation today, to move forward on how you can best utilize and benefit from an IT Service provider.